Thursday, November 15, 2007

Can you be loyal to the King

Going to see King Marsil -
Ganelon carries the Kings message but with his hateful heart
Can it be that someone who has so much hatred in his heart would really be able to serve the King faithfully. Could it be that we have motives that are not pure when hatred (for only one person) governs all that we do? We know that Ganelon hates his fellow Knight...serving and loyal to the same King, the Great King of the Franks, but could it be that he is more interested in vengeance (on his own brother) then he is in defeating the Kings enemy. You can not serve two masters...you will love one and hate the other...let us see what incredible damage a bitter heart can do to the message that the messenger brings....you will not even believe what happens today....! It is impossible to imagine...or is it? It is something we see every day amongst our our brethern in the midst of the King. Would we really go to this extent to get even....I am afraid so!



BEFORE he had travelled far, Ganelon overtook the Saracen ambassadors, and, indeed, Blancandrin had delayed his journey that this might be so. Said the Saracen, "What a wonderful man is your King Charles! He has conquered Italy, and New Rome and Germany, and is ready to lay his hands on England. But why is he bent on persecuting us?" "Such is his will," answered Ganelon, "and there is no man of such stature as to be able to contend with him." "You are brave men, you lords of France," said Blancandrin, "but you serve your master ill when you give him such counsel. You will bring him to destruction, and many others with him."

(You should have never told him that he could conquer us)

"Nay," said Ganelon. "I am not one that deserves such blame, nor indeed does any man deserve it, except Roland only. Of a truth this will bring him to shame at the last. Now listen to me. The other day the King was sitting under a tree when Roland came to him clad in his cuirass. He had taken great spoil at the town of Carcassonne. In his hand he had an apple. "Take this," said he to his uncle the King. "As I cast this apple at your feet so will I cast at your feet the crowns of all the Kings of the earth." Such pride must surely have a fall. Every day he exposes himself to death. I would that some one would slay him. We shall never have peace but at the price of his life."

(Don't blame me for doing this horrible deed it is ALL Rolands fault)


Blancandrin answered, "This Roland must be hard of heart if he would subdue every nation and lay his hands upon every country. But on whom does he count to help him in so vast an enterprise?" "He relies on the French," said Ganelon. "There is nothing that he refuses them, neither gold, nor silver, nor chargers, nor mules, nor silk, nor armour. To the King himself he gives as much as he desires. I doubt not that he will conquer the world even as far as the sun rising."

(Yes you are right..because of course I hate him too as you do but I hate him more then you do..even though you are the enemy and I am his step father!)


The Saracen cast his eyes on Ganelon, and saw that he was of a fair countenance, but had an evil look. And Ganelon, when the Saracen's eyes were upon him, felt his whole body tremble from head to foot. Blancandrin said, "Are you minded to revenge yourself on this Roland? If you be, deliver him up to us. King Marsilas is a right generous giver, and will willingly share his treasures with you." Thus the two talked together, and by the time that they came to Saragossa they had agreed together to seek the means by which Roland might come by his death.
The King of Spain was sitting under a pine-tree on a throne that was covered with silk of Alexandria. There were thousands of his people around him, but not a word was said, so greatly did they all desire to hear the tidings that Ganelon and Blancandrin might be bringing with them.

(Yes that is a good idea, after I deliever the message from the King then lets figure out how I can even with this pridefull arrogant servant of my King that I am so loyal too)


Blancandrin came forward and stood before King Marsilas holding Ganelon by the right hand, and said, "In the name of the Prophet, health, O King. We delivered your message to King Charles. He lifted his hands to the sky and gave thanks to God, but he made no other answer. Nevertheless he has sent to you one of his chief nobles, who is a great man in France. 'Tis from him you will hear whether you will have peace or no." "Let him speak," said the King, "and we will listen."

(OK it is now time to go to church and put on that I love Jesus TOO face and give the message to the heathen that they will parish if they don't repent)


Ganelon stood a while, thinking within himself. Then he began to speak, nor could any one have spoken better.

"Health, O King, in the name of God, the God of Glory, to whom all honour is due. Hear now what King Charles commands. You must receive the Christian Faith. Then will he grant unto you half of the land of Spain to be held of him. The other half he grants to the Count Roland. Verily you will have a proud companion! If this please you not, then he will lay siege to Saragossa, will take you captive and carry you to Aachen, where he has his Imperial Throne. There shall sentence be pronounced upon you, and you will end your days in shame."

(What a great sermon, delievered by a true man of the King)


The King's face was changed with anger when he heard these words. He had a gilded staff in his hand, and would have struck Ganelon therewith, but that by good fortune his people held him back. When Ganelon saw it, he drew his sword two fingers' breadth out of the scabbard. "Sword," he said, "thou art fair and bright. So long as I have thee in my hands the King of France shall not say that I perished alone in the land of strangers; no verily, but their best warriors shall have paid for my death with their blood."

(Now Ganelon knows that he can count on his brothers but can they count on HIM!)

(Hey the truth hit the heathen Kings heart, it really bothered him....Ganelon really got in a good sermon today now this King has no choice but to surrender to the great Christian King)


And now King Marsilas had been persuaded to sit down again on his throne. "You had put yourself in evil case," said his Vizier to him, "had you struck this Frenchman. Rather you must listen to his words."

(we need to listen to this man..he has a message that we must listen to and then find away to ignor it)

"Sire," said Ganelon, "I will put up with this affront, but never will I consent, for all the treasures that there are in this land, nay, not for all the gold that God has made, not to speak the words that King Charles has commanded me to speak." And he threw to the ground his mantle of sable, covered with silk of Alexandria; but his sword he kept, holding its hilt in his right hand. "This is a noble baron," said the heathen chiefs.

(Listen to me you heathen king...I will speak the truth to you..you can not offer me anything that would keep me from speaking the truth to you..I am one of the most loyal men and wise for that matter....men in my Kings army)

(I just have a little anger issue with one man...that is not going to keep me from serving my King and being loyal to HIM you slimy heathen king nothing you could offer me could persuade me NOT to serve my king...now if you want to talk about Roland...that is a different issue all together I HATE him more then you do)


Then Ganelon spoke the same words as before, and when he had ended them, he gave King Charles's letter into the King's hand. Now King Marsilas was a scholar, having learnt in the schools of the heathen. So when he had broken the seal of the letter, he read it from end to end; and having read it, the tears came into his eyes with rage, and he pulled his beard, and cried with a loud voice, "Listen, my lords, to this foolishness. Charles, who is King of France, bids me remember the two ambassadors whom I beheaded, and commands me, if I would redeem my life, to send him my Vizier. If I fail in this, he will be my enemy for ever."

(This Christian King demands that I answer for MY past sins)


All held their peace save the King's son, who cried, "Ganelon has spoken as a fool speaks; verily he deserves to die. Deliver him to me, and I will deal with him."
But Ganelon drew his sword, and stood with his back to a pine. King Marsilas stood up from his throne, and went into the orchard hard by, bidding the chief of his counsellors follow him. When they were assembled there, Blancandrin said to the King, "You do ill to deal harshly with Ganelon. He has pledged his faith to serve us."

(Hey slow down .....King Marsils we have this brother he wants the same thing we want! Don't get angry with him...he is on our side...!)

"Bring him hither," said the King. So Blancandrin brought him before the King, holding him by the right hand.
"My lord Ganelon," said Marsilas, "I was ill-advised when in my anger I sought to strike you. I would make amends for the wrong with these skins of martens which I have purchased this very day. They are worth more than five hundred pieces of gold." Then the King hung them about Ganelon's neck. "I accept them," said he; "may God Himself make it up to you for your bounty!"

(Please take these gifts..I had no idea that your hatred for your fellow Knight would allow us your assitance...here my friend..your anger has led you straight into my hands to do my will..come here closer....and tell me more...about your hatred for your brother...May GOD HIMSELF reward you for this..)


Said the King, "Believe me, Ganelon, that I greatly desire to be your friend. Come, now, tell me about Charlemagne. He is an old man, is he not? One who has lived his life? He must be two hundred years old. Over how many countries he has passed! and how many blows has he taken on his shield, and what mighty kings has he brought to beg their bread! When, think you, will he be tired of waging war? Surely 'tis time that he should be taking rest at Aachen."

(Yes! Tell me all you know...please we also want to hear about this great King of yours I dearly want to be your King now...do what I ask...of you...let me see if you will bow your knee to me....but keep talking about YOUR KING...please...I know now that your words are my friends BUT please don't remind me of his warning to repent anymore that doesn't serve OUR purpose now does it)


Ganelon answered, "You do not know King Charles the Great. No man is a better knight than he, so say all that know him. As for myself, I cannot praise him enough; I had rather die than cease to be one of his barons. But for his ceasing to make war, that cannot be so long as Roland lives. There is no such knight in all the East. A right valiant warrior, too, is Roland's companion, Oliver; right valiant are the Twelve Peers also. Of a truth King Charles need fear no man alive."

(My King is the only King, I will only serve Him but I still hate Roland and his friend Oliver, well and those other Twelve are valiant men also..but my problem is with ROLAND)


"But," answered the King, "there is no people that can be compared with mine. Four hundred thousand horsemen I have with whom to fight against King Charles and his Frenchmen." "Yet," said Ganelon, "it is not thus that you will answer him. Rather will you lose thousands and thousands of your soldiers. Listen now to my counsel.

(I know that you have a way to win this fight....just listen to me as I tell you exactly how this Roland can be taken down....and my King will still be King)

From the ancient chronicles we read:

If you are wise and understand God's ways, live a life of steady goodness so that only good deeds will pour forth. And if you don't brag about the good you do, then you will be truely wise! But if you are bitterly jealous and there is selfish ambition in your hearts don't brag about being wise. That is the worst kind of lie. For jealousy and selfishness are not God's kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and motivated by the Devil. For where ever there is jealousy and selfish ambition there you will find disorder and every kind of evil.

In another part we read;

besides they are likely to become lazy and spend their time gossiping from house to house, getting into other people business and saying things they shouldn't...for I am afraid that some of them have already gond astray and now follow Satan.

God help us!

Read Psalm 15 and see how this story is explained better...!

No comments: